Feb 12, 2011

SnapperHead IPA brewed by: Butternuts Beer and Ale out of New York
This beer had all the expectations of a good IPA but lacking a full profile. It has a very nice orange, rich color with a light head which is leaning towards a thin carbonation due to the quick dissipation. The taste was sweet almost butterscotch like followed by a strong malty flavor. So far so good right, and here comes the disappointment: very low in hops all around which destroyed what I thought this beer could have been. It’s there however I felt like Dr. Jones hunting for it. You will find it in the back of the bitter taste giving a hint of citrus. Hardly no aroma due to the over power of the malt, think I went into this expecting the lost ark or a hidden gem due to the outstanding package/marketing.
Being a graphic designer I’m now noticing that when exploring new brews I can get quickly distracted by the marketing and labels. Butternuts Beer and Ale’s website is a wonderful adventure filled with many hidden easter eggs and proving how cool you can make a product seem by some simple flash. (check out the link above) Now this beer wasn’t a complete loss and for it being a 6.8% IPA sold in cans it could be a real winner for a hot day of chugging. I’m actually thinking of adding this to my Bonnaroo variety pack since there is a strict rule on No Bottles. If someone was standing next to me in an aisle and asked what I thought about SnapperHead’s IPA? I would follow up with- Are you wanting to drink an IPA or a Pale Ale because this is what I consider this beer leaning towards.  

No comments:

Post a Comment